Friday, November 12, 2010

The Boy Who Was Too Shy To Confess " I Love You "


There once lived a boy, who was so severely gripped by cancer that he hardly ventured out of his house. He lived alone with his mother. He had lost his father, years ago again due to cancer ( which was herediatery in their family). The boy was denied permission to go out alone, since the tenacity of his disease was such that often it left him gasping for breathe, years of chemotherapy had taken their toll on his body, and he did not have the strength left in his limbs and confidence to walk alone....

The only friend, the only companion the boy ever knew of was his mother, who was also the leading cancer therapist in town. No friends,  No relatives, No one to care for. Only loneliness, and pain.. The boy often wondered, " Why am I like this? Why can't I go out, enjoy, party, like other young people? I want to see the world, the blue sky, the green meadows, flowering fields, The Sun setting down the horizon.." He often expressed his wish to his mother, but his mother knew of the truth... The truth was that the boy had only A FEW DAYS TO GO.... ( She would sob silent tears but could she fight his destiny ? Did her love had that much power to save him of his anguish? )

One bright, sunny morning, the boy pestered and managed to convince his mother that he would just walk up to the next street  Music store and come back. His mother admininstered him a glucose injection, and forewarned him to return in 5 - 10 minutes. In his heart, the boy was so happy ! After so many years he'd finally get permission and he was now out of his confinement. He greeted the people passing by, smiled at the vegetable vendors and was feeling as a bird who just freed herself from the shackles of slavery and incarceration...

He walked up the steps of the music store. This  was one of the biggest stores in town. It housed all genres of music - Rock, Pop, Jazz, Soft, Trance, Classical to name only a few. His eyes caught a beautiful sales girl who exchanged smiles with him. ' She must be of my age ' , he thought. Black, shiny untied hair, lips the color of a rose, skin complexion as white as a lotus, he thought he met a fairy. For the first time in his painful life, he felt love....

"Yes,Sir. How may I help you?", the girl exchanged another of her smiles. The boy froze for a moment. Her voice sounded as if the nightingale was singing a melodious tune to greet the advent of spring. " I, I.... I would be gr-gra-grateful if on-only you help me find some goo-goo-good soft music", he stammered. "Sure, Sir why not." She handed him few CDs. "Yeah, that one please." The boy mustered enough courage by now to talk. " Can you please wrap it for me ? "   "Yes, Yes. Please wait here, I'll be back in a jiffy" said the girl flashing her smiles again, as she went. The boy could'nt describe the feelings he had in his heart. " I feel love, yes I feel it. I feel I'm in heaven today. I feel for her, Yes I do. I'm in love.", he thought to himself. " Sir, here is your CD. Sorry that I made you wait." , the nightingale sound interrupted his thoughts.  "Oh, No issues at all." Both of them exchanged smiles and the boy left for his home.

"Oh, Lord. Today I just met someone. Someone that would brighten up my lonely, painful life. Someone that would bring spring and dispell off the autumn set in my heart. I FINALLY FOUND SOMEONE.", the boy thought that night. Following morning, he once again cajoled his mother for a walk outside to freshen up his spirits.. His mother let him off with a warning, " Come back within 5 minutes ! ". Again the same music store. His eyes searched desparately for his girl. There she was in a corner arranging the CDs neatly on a rack. "Hello, there. I just decided to come down today to tell you that I really liked the CD", the boy exclaimed groping for words. The girl smiled. It sent the bells ringing in the boy's heart. " Can you show me some more? " . " Sure, why not ". The boy selected his choice, requested her to wrap it and left.

This went on for days. Every night, the boy would decide, " Tomorrow morning, I will express my love for her. I will ask her out. " But everytime he met her, his confidence gave in. He could just exchange only pleasanteries. One night over dinner, he shared his thoughts with his mother. His mother was glad. What her love was not able to achieve all these years, of making the boy's life worth was achieved only in a few days by a girl.. She asked him to express his feelings to her.

Early next morning, the boy glided off to the store. Same old story, both exchanged smiles. He requested for a few soft music CDs, chose one and asked her to wrap it.
"Oh, How am I gonna say ' I love you ' ? How Am I gonna ask her out? I don't have the courage. "  Thinking thus, he decides to leave a note for her...
"Hi. I'm Harry. Just wanna say that I like you and I wanna go out with you. Would you?".. the note concludes with his contact number.. He darts off, leaving the note on her desk. He awaited her call. But she did not. He waited. He realized that love was not meant for him, and that feeling left a void in his heart.. 

Days passed and months. Every day, the girl at the store would stare out of the window waiting.Waiting for him. He never came. In her heart, she too liked the boy. But she could'nt confess her feelings. One fine day, she mustered enough courage and called the boy's home. The boy's mother picked up.
"Madam, I'd just like to inquire about Mr. Harry. He is one of our regular customers. I wanted to inform him about some cool soft music that's up on our racks, it arrived recently..."
" Harry cannot talk to you. He left for his heavenly abode 2 months back." The only sound that the girl could hear from the other end was a wail and tears falling, a mother crying for a departed child. The receiver went dead. The girl tried to call back again and again and again, but she could not re-connect........

The mother went into the boy's room. Lo and behold . What did she see? She sees dozens of wrapped CDs in the boy's cupboard. She un-wraps them all to check them.
She finds a withered rose within each and a note......

" HI, I'M SARA. JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT I LOVE YOU AND WANNA GO OUT WITH YOU. WOULD YOU?".... THE NOTE CONCLUDES WITH HER CONTACT NUMBER.........................................................  

No comments:

Post a Comment